Saturday, January 17, 2009

My First Overnight In the ER


Never did I expect my first overnight in the ER was to be spent as a patient!

Every time I walk through the ER (as a student) and see the poor patients without rooms, lying on their trolleys in the corridor, I feel terrible for them and thank heaven that I'm not in their situation. However, last night, I very much was in their place and felt every bit of the agony and loss of dignity that comes with spending a night in a hallway surrounded by other sick people. Meanwhile, healthcare workers hustle by you to attend their duties, trying not to take notice of your distressing billet brought on by governmental health service cutbacks.

Overall, the hospital staff treated me very well though. Every health professional I encountered was sincere and considerate in their care. Professional as well. The main thing that bothered me was how COLD it was in the ER. Add on top of that the cold hands touching and examining me made for a very chilly experience. The blankets provided at this hospital are also paper thin so I had to request for several more.

Investigations ordered: bloods, ECG (twice), glucose, CxR, CTbrain, and ECHO.

I won't say exactly what landed me there, else my enemies will discover my kryptonite, but it's amazing how fast one can move from the doctor's side of the bed to the patient's side.

It reminded me to not lose focus of the proper things in life because "You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?" -- Luke 12:20

PS
This was NOT a motorcycle-related event.

PPS
I should add that I'm fine now and no follow-up appointments were necessary.

Pictures from my summer adventures are finally up:
Angola pictures click here
Other summer fun pictures click here

4 Comments:

At Sat Jan 17, 11:32:00 PM 2009, Blogger deb said...

yo man, hoping you're okay. keep us posted.

 
At Sun Jan 18, 07:09:00 AM 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Ian! Hope you are feeling better, and warmer...Prayers...

 
At Sun Jan 18, 10:38:00 AM 2009, Blogger Ian Lau said...

btw i'm fine now. docs checked me out and did not necessitate a follow-up appt.

 
At Wed Jan 28, 10:41:00 PM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should've texted me or something when you in A&E! glad you're better though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home