Sunday, December 11, 2005

A Chinese-Canadian in Ireland

There's been a request for more Irish content in my blogs so here's Ireland with a twist. Walking around Dublin a couple of weeks ago, I came across a couple of interesting sites that pay homage to my ancestral and patriotic roots as a Chinese-Canadian. The first is a cafe called Mao that I'd never heard of before but just happened to come across. We didn't have time to go in, but from the outside it seemed like at least 70% of the staff was Asian - wasn't expecting that in Ireland! (I waited 'til some random Asian walked by and asked her to pose in my picture)



(..j/k, that's Rebecca. Friend from Hfx studying in Dublin)

You can't tell from the next picture that I'm in Ie unless you look closely and see the 2.29euro for a box of Timbits at the top of the pic. Or.. if you think about it carefully, have you ever seen a Timmy's where you walk right up to the donut rack and serve yourself? No. Neither have I. So when I went into this Spar (the equivalent of a 7-Eleven in Can.) that has a Timmy's counter at the back, I waited for 5 minutes for someone to come serve me - while grumbling at how slow Irish service is - until it finally dawned on my one-track-mind that it's a self-serve counter!

7 Comments:

At Sun Dec 11, 04:10:00 PM 2005, Blogger JWo said...

LOL - I wonder if Timmy's would be open to have a self serve counter in Canada. That would cut down on wait time (which is their goal and thus the no Interac policy - although I did notice Interac at Tim Horton's in Ottawa International Airport).

Anyway, you should check out Mao's and let us know how it compares to Chinese-Canadian food! Yummmy... for some reason I just thought had a craving for Vietnamese food. Yummy...

 
At Mon Dec 12, 10:54:00 AM 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Before I read the sentence below the pic, I was thinking "Wow, does that girl ever look like Rebecca!" What can I say, it's Monday...Wow, timbits are expensive over there!

 
At Tue Dec 13, 01:51:00 AM 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian!!
Nice pics from Ireland. Looks like you're having fun there. I was reading an article on Ireland on the plane today. The article was all about how Ireland's economy is now booming -they are experiencing lots of economic growth, which was not the case 10 years ago when the unemployment rate was through the roof-- so different cultures are slowly moving there and starting up their own little ethnic shops (i.e. little Italy!)I think it is great that Ireland, Dublin especially, is becoming so prosperous. Afterall, my ancestors are from there, so I have a lil' Irish blood in meself Lad. ;)

 
At Tue Dec 13, 08:37:00 AM 2005, Blogger The Barretts said...

It's neat that there's a Timmy's in Ireland! Self serve? I've never heard of such a thing! Cute pic of Rebecca :)

 
At Wed Dec 14, 11:32:00 PM 2005, Blogger Bryan said...

Always got time, always got time...

 
At Fri Jan 06, 08:43:00 AM 2006, Blogger The Barretts said...

You are in desperate need of an update..tell us..how was your Christmas in Canada???

 
At Sat Jan 14, 05:25:00 PM 2006, Blogger Anna said...

hey ian. Nice to know what has been happening in your life. I can't believe that's a Mao there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home