Saturday, January 12, 2008

In The Sticks

I'm back from a week of living in the sticks and here are some stories to write home about (did not bring camera this week but hope to get some shots next wk):

I arrive at the clinic after a 2 hr ride on my motorcycle, thirsty as a cactus, so the staff tell me to go make myself a cup of coffee. I settle into the staff lounge but am not much of a caffeine junkie so I just grab a glass of water and go to work. Back at the reception desk our conversation goes something like this:
(them) "Did ya fix yourself a cup of coffee?"
(me) "No I'm not much of a coffee drinker so I just had some water."
(them) "You boiled the water first right?"
(me) ..hesitating w/ funny look starting to creep over my face
(them) "Well good luck bai"
STRIKE ONE!

On day 3 the GP leaves me in the treatment room alone with a patient to perform a relatively minor procedure. He returns to find *gasp* the patient's blood all over the floor, on my pants, and covering my shoes. This wasn't open heart surgery or anything dramatic like that.. I just goofed - big time. SSSTTEEEEEEEERRIKE TWO!!

I calmly clean up the mess and explain to the patient this happens sometimes when we do [this procedure]. Patient is reassured and the GP finishes up the job. After the patient left, the doc told me I was cool under fire. Phew - close one.

Thankfully I've got a fun doc to work with (he's a good instructor as well). We're out for lunch one day with his colleagues and once everyone's seated at the table, he introduces me: "Folks, this is Ian from the Medical Council of Ireland. He's here for a week to audit me practice. Please do all ye can to make sure he's well fed and content by the time he leaves."

For a while, everyone's intimidated by my presence at lunch and no one mentions a word to me for the next 20 minutes, until a brave soul questions, "are ye really from the medical council?" To which I reply, "Absolutely. And what are the guidelines for instrument disinfection and infectious disease control at your practice??" My GP chokes on his food and launches a half-digested potato wedge across the room at 90 mph. SSTRIKE THREE!

6 Comments:

At Sat Jan 12, 09:25:00 PM 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I just finished laughing my head off...I can even hear the Irish accents...can't wait for next week's stories!

 
At Mon Jan 14, 02:15:00 PM 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha,ha...that's funny! I'm glad you are having a good time!

 
At Mon Jan 14, 03:27:00 PM 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice!!! Keep the updates coming...I totally picture Doc Hollywood meets Far and Away and/or any other Irish movie. I especially laughed picturing you with blood all over the place...you probably turned as white as the patient.

Take Care brother...we still pray for you on Thursday nights...well sometimes...give us a call!

Stephen

 
At Tue Jan 15, 07:33:00 AM 2008, Blogger Anna said...

You have such good humour in stressful situations. Good for you!!! :D Keep your head high and keep going! Woah!

 
At Sun Jan 20, 08:45:00 AM 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Jamin & I both really enjoyed your post! Keep up the good work!! :)

 
At Sat Jan 26, 06:40:00 PM 2008, Blogger Esther Lau said...

Thanks for the humorous post! :) Take care, Ian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home