Saturday, January 05, 2008

Smile 'n Nod

Apologies for my blogdom absence. Excuses include exams, studying, travelling, facebook, holidays, etc. I returned to Cork on Jan 2 after spending a couple of weeks in TO for Christmas. Highlights include:
  • Surprising dad for his 60th bday
  • Quality home cooking and Chinese food
  • Snow storms! (and subsequent driving adventures w/out winter tires)
  • Shovelling snow
  • Pac Mall and its "unique" merchandise
  • Hanging, wii-ing, and prayin' w/ Wongs
  • Worship and bball in new SCBC bldg
  • Jog / runs in the snow
  • Two hr shinny @ Angus Glen (best 4 bucks ever spent!)
  • Hearing ‘bout AC’s new CHRISTIAN gf
  • Dinner and shenanigans w Shirley Street gang
  • Singing Silent Night w Grams on Christmas eve
  • Boxing day madness 7am @ Sporting Life
  • Skiing w Mok cousins
  • Catching up w friends and family
  • Meeting new and old friends from Hfx at WC
  • Mom's NY eve salmon, muscles, and lobster dinner
  • NY day hockey w SCBC crew until having to catch my plane
****

I'm now officially halfway through my medical program. Two and a half years to go (in case you haven't been following the ticker at the bottom ;-) We're into our clinical rotations full time now and for my first posting, I'm off to do a rural GP rotation! Small town medicine is something I've always wanted to do (watch Doc Hollywood) so we'll see how these next 4 weeks go. I'm gonna be in Mullinahone, County Tipperary (pop of 372). The receptionist at the clinic calls it a village, and there's no public transportation that'll take you there (you have to drive).

Hopefully the Irish accent isn't too thick in this area. I've seen patients before where I'd only understand about 60% of what they were telling me. I just smile 'n nod and hope it's not too serious!

4 Comments:

At Sun Jan 06, 10:08:00 PM 2008, Blogger The Barretts said...

Hey Lau! Happy New Year!

Sounds like you've been busy. Congrats on making it to the half way mark!

Wow..372 people..that is really, really SMALL! I hope you enjoy your rotation.

 
At Mon Jan 07, 11:03:00 AM 2008, Blogger Anna said...

haha. Your little town does sound smaller than Yarmouth. Good luck Ian on your smiling and nodding! :D Fingers crossed for you!

 
At Wed Jan 09, 03:00:00 PM 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha..smile and nod...thats classic dude! it killed me...congrats on makin it so far in the program and good luck the rest of the way.

 
At Wed Jan 09, 11:19:00 PM 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some pretty good advice about the clinical years of med school from someone who sums it up better than I can. Mona :)
http://theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/02_06_24.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home