Monday, January 28, 2008

"Babe Puller"


I'm back from living out Doc Hollywood meets Waking Ned Devine meets Canadian Bacon meets Kung-Fu Hustle (that's read my profession, the setting, my nationality, and my ethnicity). See pictures HERE. I had to rent a car for the last 2 weeks cuz it was raining most of the time and the motorcycle didn't suit very well. It's apparently not very professional to show up on a home visit soaking head to toe. Plus, my GP insists the car is a better "babe puller" -- his words, not mine. I beg to differ.

The rental company gave me a 2007 Nissan Micra for the first week, and it brought back fond memories of the '92 Micra I learned to drive in. These are tiny little cars, but the lanes on Irish country roads are barely wide enough to fit one yet the posted speed limit is 100km/h! The crazy thing is tractor-trailers also use these roads and they don't slow for nothing. There were several times when a semi would be hurtling towards me in the opposing lane and I'd just close my eyes and pray we didn't meet.

Back to the motorcycle.. time's come for me to renew my insurance on her and it's costing me a fortune - so much so, I'm thinking of selling her. Mind you, that's not the only reason I'd part with Eabhla (I seldom do things for just one reason). Besides financial reasons, there are also practical, familial, social, safety, recreational, environmental, and educational factors to consider.

Whadaya think?? My buddy Thomas, 07 Ducati Monster S4R, gave me a tongue lashing when I told him I was selling. He told me to put her aside for 3 weeks and then reconsider when the rainy season ends. I'm open for persuasion.

6 Comments:

At Wed Jan 30, 12:33:00 PM 2008, Blogger wendy said...

I'm sure your parents will be happy to hear the news.

 
At Wed Jan 30, 09:20:00 PM 2008, Blogger The Barretts said...

Hmm....tough one. I think it might be good to sell her for safely reasons.

 
At Thu Jan 31, 02:26:00 AM 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't see it as a decision that is permanent. Riders tend to buy and sell their bikes VERY frequently. If for a time in your life, all the factors lead to it being not wise to own one, then go without. When things change ... saddle up again. After caging for a whole year, the smile came back as soon as I twisted the throttle :>.

 
At Thu Jan 31, 08:48:00 PM 2008, Blogger Anna said...

I think that it's more professional to show up in a car than in a motorcycle. I dunno. Tough one. Especially when you love the bike.

 
At Wed Feb 13, 04:47:00 PM 2008, Blogger JWo said...

Well - for purely financial reasons, why not sell it for now and when insurance goes down (meaning that you buy a car to continue the insurance payments) reconsider the bike. Besides, Anna is right, would you trust a doctor arriving on a motorcycle?

 
At Wed Jan 28, 10:40:00 PM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

House drives a motorcycle...i'd trust him...kinda. lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home